Every great story answers the five “Ws” – the who, what, when, where, and why. An Avalon Active & Discovery cruise puts the emphasis on the how. By offering the most diverse selection of interactive experiences along the Lower Danube – from lively biking and hiking tours to lovely food and wine encounters, an Active & Discovery cruise from Serbia to Romania lets you choose how to immerse yourself in the history, heritage, and hospitality of this captivating region.
Formidable medieval fortresses, bustling town squares, lush national parks, and mysterious archeological sites are amplified with our extensive menu of Classic, Discovery, and Active excursions throughout Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania. The beauty of the Balkans meets the beauty of choice on an Active & Discovery cruise.
Enjoy a little get-up-and-go on your cruising holiday when you:
- Trek up to Ivanovo Rock Church and marvel at the monolithic chapels and monasteries built inside the mountains.
- Hike through the extraordinary natural beauty of Djerdap National Park followed by a tasting of local specialties.
- Pedal from WWII to today on a historic bicycling tour through the waterfront capital of Belgrade.
And Be Moved.
Get off the beaten path and relish the world when you:
- Savour the views of the Danube Gorge from Lepenski Vir—a Mesolithic archaeological site chronicling prehistoric cultures, settlements, and art.
- Witness the ancient stone houses clinging to the cliffs above the Yantra River in the former Bulgarian capital of Veliko Târnovo.
- In Vidin, taste various labels produced by a local well-known winery, all accompanied by local snacks and symphonic music.
Plus, Classic sightseeing is always available in every port along the way.
Activate your senses and discover a world of wonder in all-new, entirely “you” ways on your personal, passion-packed cruise on the Danube from Croatia to Romania.